Friday, January 30, 2015
At thirty-third on the list, Highland Community Bank of Chicago, Illinois, was closed last week the State of Illinois' Department of Financial & Professional Regulation—Division of Banking. United Fidelity Bank, fsb, (5216th on the list) of Evansville, Indiana has agreed to assume all the of the $53.5 million in total deposits and $54.7 million in total assets of the former Highland Community Bank. The FDIC estimates that the cost to the Deposit Insurance Fund (DIF) will be $5.8 million.
Friday, January 16, 2015
It took two full weeks before the first bank foreclosure of the new year. 59th-ranked First National Bank of Crestview based in Crestview, Florida, was closed by the OCC today. First NBC Bank (1226th), of New Orleans, Louisiana, has agreed to assume all of the approximately $78.6 million in total deposits of First National Bank of Crestview. However, it will only acquire approximately approximately $62.0 million of the failed bank's $79.7 million in total assets. The FDIC estimates that the cost to the Deposit Insurance Fund (DIF) will be $4.4 million.
Friday, December 19, 2014
Northern Star Bank of Mankato, Minnesota is no longer shining as it was closed today by the Minnesota Department of Commerce today. The 74th-ranked bank on the list had only $18.8 million in total assets and $18.2 million in total deposits at the time it failed. BankVista (1498th) of Sartell, Minnesota has agreed to assume all of the deposits and purchase all of the assets of the former Northern Star Bank. The FDIC estimates that the cost to the Deposit Insurance Fund (DIF) will be a relatively steeo $5.9 million.
Friday, November 7, 2014
Twenty-fourthed ranked Frontier Bank, FSB or Palm Desert, California was closed today by the state regulators. Doing business as El Paseo Bank the approximately $86.4 million in total assets and $82.1 million in total deposits found itself acquired by Bank of Southern California, N.A. (4413th) based in San Diego, California. The FDIC estimates that the cost to the Deposit Insurance Fund (DIF) will be $4.7 million.
Friday, October 24, 2014
The number one bank on the most recent list, National Republic Bank of Chicago of Chicago, Illinois, was closed today by state regulators. Much larger than other recent bank failures, the National Republic Bank of Chicago had approximately $954.4 million in total assets and $915.3 million in total deposits. State Bank of Texas (6488th) based in Dallas, has agreed to assume all of deposits as well as having agreed to purchase approximately $626.1 million of the failed bank's assets. The FDIC will retain the remaining assets. The FDIC estimates that the cost to the Deposit Insurance Fund (DIF) will be $111.6 million.
Saturday, October 18, 2014
The rate of bank failure is down significantly in 2014. This does not mean all banks are safe however, as evidenced by eighteenth-ranked NBRS Financial of Rising Sun, Maryland being closed by state regulators. NBRS Financial had approximately $188.2 million in total assets and $183.1 million in total deposits as of its most recent regulatory filing. Howard Bank, 1840th on our list, of Ellicott City, Maryland, has agreed to purchase essentially all of the assets and to assume all of the deposits of NBRS Financial. The FDIC estimates that the cost to the Deposit Insurance Fund (DIF) will be $24.3 million.
Tuesday, September 2, 2014
The Bank Blog is making some changes to our rankings. We will now be posting a new Top 50 (yes, 10 more firms than before) semi-annually. The Summer/Fall list will be based on data provided by banks for the first half of the year while the Winter/Spring ranking will include the most recent year's worth of data.
As before the firms on this list represent the most distressed of the regulated, deposit taking banks in the United States. We would also like to caution our readers not to infer that currently listed banks or those leaving the list are now safe. While the overall likelihood of failure has fallen, distressed banks may not prove to be the best banking partners.
Only returning banks from the prior list are listed in bold and newly failed banks are listed in italics.
1. THE NATIONAL REPUBLIC BANK OF CHICAGO of CHICAGO, IL
2. EASTERN SAVINGS BANK of HUNT VALLEY, MD
3. AMERICAN METRO BANK of CHICAGO, IL3.
4. BEACH COMMUNITY BANK of FORT WALTON BEACH, FL
5. THE PEOPLES BANK of COVINGTON, GA
6. CECIL BANK of ELKTON, MD 7. FIRSTSECURE BANK AND TRUST CO. of PALOS HILLS, IL
8. CITY NATIONAL BANK OF NEW JERSEY of NEWARK, NJ
9. FIRST SOUTHERN BANK of PATTERSON, GA
10. CORNERSTONEBANK of ATLANTA, GA
11. SOUTH CAROLINA COMMUNITY BANK of COLUMBIA, SC
12. ENTERPRISE BANK OF SOUTH CAROLINA of EHRHARDT, SC
13. INDEPENDENT BANKERS' BANK OF FLORIDA of LAKE MARY, FL
14. ADVANTAGE BANK of LOVELAND, CO
15. EDGEBROOK BANK of CHICAGO, IL
16. EASTSIDE COMMERCIAL BANK, NA
17. STATE BANK OF HERSCHER of HERSCHER, IL
18. NBRS FINANCIAL BANK of RISING SUN, MD
19. FIRST CITY BANK OF FLORIDA of FORT WALTON BEACH, FL
20. CAPITOL CITY BANK & TRUST COMPANY of ATLANTA, GA21. GUARANTY BANK of BROWN DEER, WI
22. GWINNETT COMMUNITY BANK of DULUTH, GA
23. DORAL BANK of SAN JUAN, PR
24. FRONTIER BANK, FSB doing business as EL PASEO BANK in PALM DESERT, CA
25. THE BANK OF PERRY, of PERRY, GA
26. GEORGIA PRIMARY BANK of ATLANTA, GA
27. NORTH MILWAUKEE STATE BANK of MILWAUKEE, WI
28. PAN AMERICAN BANK LOS ANGELES, CA
29. PREMIER BANK of DENVER, CO
30. THE FIRST STATE BANK of BARBOURSVILLE, WV
31. THE HERITAGE BANK of HINESVILLE, GA
32. CITIZENS STATE BANK KINGSLAND, GA
33. HIGHLAND COMMUNITY BANK of CHICAGO, IL
34. AMERICAN BANK OF BAXTER SPRINGS in BAXTER SPRINGS, KS
35. PINNACLE BANK of ORANGE CITY, FL
36. COMMERCE BANK OF ARIZONA, INC. of TUCSON, AZ
37. IDAHO BANKING COMPANY of BOISE, ID
38. SUNSOUTH BANK of DOTHAN, AL
39. AMERICAN PATRIOT BANK of GREENEVILLE, TN
40. FIRST SOUTH BANK of SPARTANBURG, SC
41. STATE CENTRAL BANK of BONAPARTE, IA
42. FIRST CORNERSTONE BANK of KING OF PRUSSIA, PA
43. PNA BANK of CHICAGO, IL
44. NORTHWEST GEORGIA BANK of RINGGOLD, GA
45. F & M BANK AND TRUST COMPANY of MANCHESTER, GA
46. FARMERS & MERCHANTS BANK of LAKELAND, GA
47. SECURANT BANK & TRUST of MILWAUKEE, WI
48. LIBERTY FEDERAL SAVINGS BANK of ENID, OK
49. HORRY COUNTY STATE BANK of LORIS, SC
50. THE LEADERS BANK, of OAK BROOK, IL
The content of this web site is for general information purposes only and does not constitute advice. The author tries to provide content that is true and accurate as of the date of writing; however, we give no assurance or warranty regarding the accuracy, timeliness, or applicability of any of the contents. Visitors should not act upon content or information without first seeking appropriate professional advice.
The author accepts no responsibility for and excludes all liability in connection with browsing this Web site, use of information or downloading any materials from it, including but not limited to any liability for errors, inaccuracies, omissions, or misleading or defamatory statements. The information at this Web site might include opinions or views which, unless expressly stated otherwise, are not necessarily those of the author.
All content and information might be changed or updated without notice.